Sunday, March 20, 2005

Still sick. Voice has taken a turn for the better, which unfortunately means I'm no longer speaking in a hoarse whisper that some might characterize as sexy -- better in this context means sounding like a dyspeptic frog named Rosie with a 40-year, 2-pack-a-day smoking habit.

Talked to someone who worked in Cambodia last year and said, "If you want to try working in an NGO dealing with human rights, this organization is one of the best places you could be." And said in regard to the first world guilt when living in a developing country: "Yes, that's always there. But you're doing your part."

And then talked to my dad, who reminded me that I wanted to work internationally, and that Cambodia sounded like a better fit with that in mind. Trouble is, I'm not so sure I want to be abroad this summer anymore. If I hadn't been in Korea for the two years before this, and traveled around to SE Asia, I'd definitely be done with this choice. But something about Alaska really captures my imagination in a way that Cambodia doesn't. Or perhaps no longer does. That's another thing: trying a new place instead of going back to some place I've already been. On the other hand, maybe it's a good thing to actually build on knowledge about a particular area instead of being so flighty.

Just in from my dad, over email: "I think you deserve taking some rest in a cool place like Alaska this summer after a year of hard work. ... Count my vote in for Alaska for your summer job place." Aw.

Have 23 hours to decide.

Why do I have these paralyzing periods of indecision? Sometimes I really would like to kick myself.