Sunday, July 15, 2007

Commercial

I love me a good ad campaign. It's a little strange, considering that I am kind of a pinko-commie when it comes to consumerism (I rarely buy things that aren't food or airplane tickets -- not really out of lack of desire, but out of a combination of lack of funds, indecision, and laziness). But I LOVE good ads. Those "Priceless" Mastercard ads? 30-second works of art. The Gap consistently delivers catchy, hip-looking commercials that do more than sell you the clothes -- they capture the zeitgeist. The Robert DeNiro AmEx ad? Kinda makes me tear up. I even appreciate the Empire carpet ads (I think they're a New England chain) -- they're annoying as hell but damn if I don't remember the jingle and the number: "Eight hundred five eight eight, two three hundred, Empiiiiire! Call, today!" Good ads are more than just pleas for your dollars, they're entertainment and statements about society.

Which is why you should check out this site: cleanishappy.com. Now you know what you were missing in your life.