Friday, June 22, 2007

Dadtalk

Last Sunday was Father's Day, and I even spoke to my father on that day, but I totally forgot to wish him a happy father's day. They don't celebrate a separate father's day in Korea, that's my reasoning (there is a Parents' Day, for which I also don't send anything to my father -- I mean, they don't celebrate it here, do they, so I can be excused on that front too, right?). Anyhoo, the Korean Team flew back to Seoul last Tuesday, and one of the last things my dad said, which he has said a number of times during the past 3 weeks, was that I had made them all so happy.

I recently watched a House episode where House helps a patient (played by John Larroquette) kill himself so that the patient's heart could be transplanted into his dying son. John asks House, "What would you want to hear from your father, if you could hear anything from him?" House hesitates for a moment and finally answers, in one of those small, character-revealing moments, "You were right. You made the right choice."

That particular phrase doesn't do it for me (nor did it do anything for John's son in the episode, who asks, "What the hell does that mean? What choice?"). I don't need my choices validated post-choice, I need help in the pre-choice period. But "You make us all happy"? That might be a winner.