Saturday, April 14, 2007

Networking and noxiousness

I'm going to the 3L "prom" tonight, mostly because Joiner demanded we go. The idea of going to anything called a prom is amusing, to be sure, but also slightly undignified, somehow. The main attraction for me and Resident Evil, whom Joiner also enticed into going, is dinner at a nice restaurant nearby. And the prospect of an open bar at the prom isn't too shabby either. Although in my current sleep-deprived state, I'll be down for the count after about one drink.

Which, funny enough, was the situation I was in last night, after about half of a vodka martini. I must not have eaten enough dinner, because halfway through my drink, I could barely focus on the room around me, or what Sweet, Smart Scientist was saying. Did manage to stumble home with him and have a very nice night, however.

This morning, I went to a Crimson College undergrad networking thing with people from media and entertainment sectors, including a filmmaker, a DJ, a PR exec, a couple advertising guys, and several journalists. I didn't really want to go, but felt that I should, so Sweet, Smart Scientist gave me a ride and I'm glad I did go, because it reminded me that there are so many possibilities out there. I forgot that in college, the management consultant firms and investment banks descend on the senior class like the corporate law firms descend on the 2Ls here, and that it takes some courage to skive off on a different path. The amount of joy on that panel was impressive -- everyone loved their jobs, and their jobs sounded so cool. So cool.

I talked to one of the journalists afterwards, and mentioned I was in law school, and he said he knew someone who had graduated from law school and is now an editor at Foreign Affairs
-- and that you didn't necessarily need a lot of journalism background to do something like that. He offered to take a look at my resume, so -- what the heck. Maybe I'll email him.

(Okay. I've refrained from mentioning Sweet, Smart Scientist for a whole paragraph. Whoo hoo! Of course, that ends now.)

So I have to say -- I mentioned this morning that I'd probably just have a drink or two at the prom and then be free ... and all dressed up with no place to go, if he wanted to go somewhere. And what does Sweet, Smart Scientist say? NOTHING. That's right. Absolutely nothing.

Right, so I say nothing back, and later, when he's dropping me off at this networking thing, he says, "Feel free to call me after your thing tonight, but I might be really tired."

Damn, that is COLD. I mean, is it so weird that after dating for four weeks, I might assume that he'd be interested in seeing me more than twice a week? That he might be interested in seeing me on -- gasp! -- two consecutive days?

I was kinda stung, which is why I am so proud of what I actually responded with. I considered saying something like, "I sure will, with such a rousing show of enthusiasm! Thanks!" but, in the hopes that the semblance of normalcy might someday lead to actual normal, well-adjusted behavior on my part, I took a moment, said cheerfully, "Okay!", smiled, kissed him goodbye, and left the car without looking back.

WhatEVER. Maybe he has a date tonight, in which case, he could just say he's busy. Maybe he's actually tired, in which case he could say he'd like to see me, but he just needs to get some sleep. Maybe he doesn't want to see me again so soon, in which case he should stop calling and emailing every other day. Whatever the reason, that was a crappy ass way to indicate non-availability. Humph.