Monday, November 13, 2006

And the signs continue

Who knew that I was so superstitious? Well, okay, I did. It's not that I believe that God, if God exists, is personally watching over me and sending me divine text messages or anything ("U still at l.skul? U shd get out. LOL, G."). And I'm rather dismissive of Joiner's need to knock on wood after dangerous statements like "You won't get hit by a bus tomorrow," or her daily horoscope readings. If things happen that seem more than coincidental, it doesn't mean that they aren't coincidence, but ... what if they aren't? What if the universe really is sending you a message?

Of course, the rational man's explanation for why everything starts looking like a personal message is that when you've got something on your mind, you start seeing it everywhere. So maybe that's why, when I went to the library yesterday to grumpily check out a book for my reading group that I didn't really want to read, and with a sigh of resignation started to read it, I nearly dropped the book, because it seemed like the author was talking right to me.
Nobody can counsel and help you, nobody. There is only one single way. Go into yourself. Search for the reason that bids you write; find out whether it is spreading out its roots in the deepest places of your heart .... This above all -- ask yourself in the stillest hour of your night: must I write? .... And if this should be should be affirmative, if you may meet this earnest question with a strong and simple "I must," then build your life according to this necessity.

Perhaps you learned readers have read Letters to a Young Poet? I hadn't, and it's never even been on my radar, but last night I couldn't tear my eyes away from those 10 letters that German writer Rainer Maria Rilke wrote to a young admirer in 1903-1904. Some of the stuff was a little wacky, but there were, like, hidden messages in there to me, I swear. (And to every lost soul out there.) (i.e., 75% of the law school population.)
...be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves .... Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer.

Working on it, Rainer. Working on it.

And in other non-law-related news? Helen Mirren is a goddess. I've been reading about the last episode of her series Prime Suspect and how she's all that and a bag of chips, but I just spent an extra 30 minutes on the treadmill in order to watch the show. She's really that good.

And in other, other non-law-related news, except it's about a law school friend, Mathgirl -- my law school friend Mathgirl, whom I met our first year and didn't see at all our second year and now see five times a week because of bankruptcy class, just gave me four pairs of pants and a pair of clogs she doesn't wear, that all fit perfectly, that probably are worth at least $300 (the clogs alone are $115 in a store). I have no shame. I will take clothes from anyone. And I love it.

Okay, I'm going to stop being a cheap-o, non-sequitur-loving, sign-seeing crazy lady now.