Thursday, October 12, 2006

The good and the bad

THE GOOD:

I've been invited to interview in person with a government agency, so maybe I won't end up working for a firm.

ALSO GOOD:

Last week, my supervisor from my clinical in the spring asked if I had thought about applying for a prestigious public interest fellowship, I think with the idea that I might be interested in working for the legal services center where I worked for him. I told him that I hadn't, because the people I knew who got that fellowship were the high priests and priestesses of direct legal services, and I was more like a junior acolyte. (I know. I'm really into the metaphors these days. Heard my prom queen/interviewing with firms analogy yet?)

But I was flattered that he would think of me as a potential fellowship person, so I looked up the deadline ... which happened to be the day before he sent me the email. Oh well. I got a very nice email back from him though, saying that I was right about the deadline, but wrong about the acolyte business -- "you are a high priestess," he wrote, and "we should talk about your post-graduation plans."

I don't know why I'm so pleased by that. I guess it just feels good to have someone out there who cares where you end up, in a very specific "you're good at this, you should do this" kind of way.

THE BAD:

The prof who is supposed to be signing off on my 3L paper project still hasn't done so, and this is after two initial emails about being my advisor, one handwritten note under his office door about my project, another email reiterating and detailing the project, the project proposal and proposal to do it over winter (January) term under his door last week, and yet another email reminding him about the deadline tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll go push another handwritten note under his door, I guess. What else can I do?

Sometimes, when you're on the adrenaline high and getting things done and being very productive and busy, you don't mind holding people's hands. And other times, when you're bloaty and PMS-y and really tired, you wonder why the hell other people can't just do what they're supposed to do.