Monday, October 24, 2005

Today's callback was all right. I liked the firm and the people I met well enough -- not super-duper, but probably better than the first two last week. There was something very smart and polished and professional about the office.

The lunch was extremely awkward, as you might expect. The two associates didn't know each other, and one of them had only been there a week! The other was astonishingly open about his exit plans and didn't try to sell the firm at all, merely reiterating in different forms that it was a Mighty Big Law Firm, and what could you expect. I rather liked that.

Miss D took me around to some shops in Soho after my interminably long lunch (it ended at 4 pm!), and we unsuccessfully searched for a basic black suit. Everything I saw seemed to be the wrong size, or had too-big shoulder pads, or something not quite right. Perhaps I'm experiencing a resistance to buying a suit that's related to my reluctance to skip down this path...

Tomorrow I start three days of back-to-back interviews. Forecast: heavy rain until noon, and then rain and showers for the rest of the day. MUST it rain every time I do a callback?

I really must get to the gym while here. Today I had a $7 bowl of oatmeal for breakfast; a $26 prix fixe lunch consisting of a terrine of goat cheese, broiled trout, baked apple, and cappucino; and a $25 dinner of swordfish and seafood risotto. My tummy is getting quite round.