Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Stick a fork in me!

Finished. Completed. Wrapped. All over. Brought on home. Concluded. Consummated. Ended. Fini. Executed. Realized. Achieved. Exhausted.

On-campus interviews: done.

And the last one was conducted over a martini (me) and a margarita (interviewer). Seriously. I ran there because I was late, and dude opens the door and is all, "I'm thirsty. Can we get something to drink in the hospitality suite?"

Okay, sez me.

"Actually," he says, "I could use a real drink. Are you up for one?"

"Are you serious?"

"Sure!"

"Uh, okay, then."

So we go down to the bar on the first floor of the hotel and it's a weird scene, 'cuz he's like, "So what do you like to do outside of law school?" and "Ask me anything, really."

So I say, "traveling," and "Okay, how much do grades really count?" and "So, what percentage of Crimson kids really can't carry on a conversation?"

And it's stilted and weird (from my perspective), but what the hell, I got a Ketel One vodka martini out of it. And verified that this Mighty Big Firm is, as the rumors had it, Frat Boy Haven.

I was encouraged to come to Mighty Big Firm's reception tonight (dude said, "If you come to our reception tonight I'll buy you another martini"), but what I say is: over my cold, rigor mortised dead body.

And then there were none!

And now I must read Evidence.

But first, check out this email from the women's law association here at Crimson:

"Love to learn how to play sports? Love to play sports and to help others learn, too? This year, the WLA Sports Committee will be planning a series of beginner sports lessons for women in key "networking sports" such as golf, tennis, squash, volleyball, softball, and basketball. If you'd like to help plan or teach, or would just like to provide your input, please come to our first meeting this Friday. All are welcome."

Interesting -- and so very damn smart. In my first interview today, the interviewee before me came out and said to another guy, "Hey, I was just talking about our flag football team in there!" Yeah.... catch ME talking about my flag football team. There are so many ways to connect with people, and usually men have a whole dimension of life that they can draw on and women usually can't. When you're talking about a male-dominated profession (yes, law students are pretty evenly divided between genders now, but look at the partners in any firm, and you'll see the unbelievably huge divide), that can be the difference between success and mediocrity.