Friday, September 23, 2005

The interviews for Student Org #1 are done and the trainees selected. Working with my co-director was a bit of a challenge at times, but no more togetherness until next semester.

Interviews for that are over, but now interviews for me have begun, so I have essentially given up on reading for class. I was so exhausted on Wednesday night that I decided to sleep as long as I could rather than wake up in 5 hours and read for class. I don't regret that.

What I do regret is going to class yesterday. Thinking, "oh, he called on me Tuesday, so surely he won't call on me today!" I slid into my seat, unread and unprepared. The prof started calling on people in my row, but not on my side. "Nah," I decided, "he won't call on me. He'll skip to another row."

Of course he called on me. Mind you, he's NEVER cold-called someone 2 days in a row before.

I clearly did not know what was going on. But the prof is a nice one despite his blustery ways, and just moved on to other students who raised their hands. After 5 minutes, he came back to me and asked me a straightforward question to which I had no answer -- I couldn't even guess. So I shook my head in that universal, "Beats me, dude" way and said, "I don't know." But the room is very large, and my voice very soft, so he didn't hear me, only saw me shake my head, and very nicely concluded that I had indicated an answer in the negative. Which was right. Were the gods with me in that classroom? Hm.

Yesterday I had my first on-campus interview with a Mighty Big Firm. A 20-minute cattle call. They do these things in hotel rooms, which is SO weird -- like, the bed is right there and everything. One of the people that our career services office had come in to talk to us, a funny Houstonite, said, "If there's 2 interviewers and 2 chairs and they make you sit on the bed -- DON'T WORK FOR THAT FIRM." (ba dum dum! audience laughs)

The scene in the hallway right before our time slots was hilarious -- six law students decked out in their somber best standing around holding their portfolios, waiting. At 2:40, we all looked at each other, shrugged, and knocked on our respective doors, one by one. The guy next to me didn't knock, and I stared at him: "Aren't you going to knock? Everyone else is knocking, shouldn't you be knocking too?" He then knocked. Hee.

I was the last one to be swallowed up by her hotel room, as my interviewer was behind schedule. We had a nice chat. It was fine. I didn't have to know anything about the firm.

But I'm still going to do a spot of research for my 2 interviews today. One of them had a reception last night, which was instructive, because it was so damn boring. Just the hiring dudes (all white, middle-aged men) surrounded by 5-6 law students pretending to listen attentively. I joined the circle around my interviewer for today, and wanted to run away -- he was answering someone's question and was either really into the topic or just socially inept, because it was clear that the other four people in the circle were falling asleep standing up.

Funny -- they had the caterers coming around with food, but no one ate anything while I was there. Until the hiring dude picked up a hors d'oeuvre, upon which four of the six groupies ate one too. I did not. And after hiring dude was finished with his, I excused myself and walked home, marveling at how stupifyingly dull it had been. I suspect it will not be the only night I marvel such things.