Wednesday, September 07, 2005

First day of class over. I got up at 5:30 am to read for both classes, which were back to back, starting from 8:45 am. Tax prof is cool and a good teacher but the numbers scare the shit out of me. I might switch to Evidence. But Employment class was pretty interesting -- it had the same vibe as Property class did last year: important, relevant, real-world.

OCI (on-campus interviewing) stuff is stressing me out. Had long conversation with Mr. Stave tonight about the future and my plans for next summer which has me more confused than ever about being here, doing the corporate thing, doing it in New York next summer. Stave and Def should know, after all, both having lawyered in New York.

Went to a public interest summer job search talk tonight and heard one 3L say, "The firm was great. The managing partner would go in and talk to male attorneys about taking their paternity leave if they didn't take it. They had a childcare center in the building -- the only firm in City X to have one. But every morning when I woke up, I thought, 'Oh, man, I have to go to work.' And I found myself wanting to do the minimum work I could get away with doing. I usually overextend, not underextend. I want a job where I wake up in the morning and I want to go to work."

I heard her say that and I thought about being reluctant to go to work every day this summer, and doing the minimum I could get away with, and I thought, "I am not in the right field."

Am I doing the right thing? About Tax class, about the firm, about the firm in New York? About law school? I feel more adrift than ever.

I have to read for Legal History tonight so I can get up at 6 am to read for tax.