Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Have been mad busy the past few days trying to get my bids in for NYC firms this summer. They were due Monday at noon. I did some research on Saturday and then talked about the list with Def and Stave on Sunday. Of course, I was futzing with my resume and switching around the rankings until the last minute: this firm is more prestigious, but this firm has the office in Beijing... but this firm has west coast offices -- but wait, this firm has high associate satisfaction and would be cool to work for because it's a "Magic Circle" UK firm... and so on and so forth. My top five choices are prestigious, but rumoured to be good places to work, relatively. And then the rest are a mishmash of firms that do a lot of international work, or have offices in Asia, or both.

I find out on Thursday which firms I'll be interviewing with here -- the lottery for interviews is taking place now, in some computer somewhere on campus...

I've also been going a tad crazy with recruiting stuff for one of the student orgs I'm involved with, and dealing with setting up training for the other one. We just had the open house for the first org today, and I talked and talked with 1Ls. It's sort of pleasant to know something that other people don't. I like to think I'd be a very benevolent dictator.

My schedule for the fall is final now -- Evidence, Employment, Legal History, and Accounting. Ew, accounting. But I'm going to take it pass/fail, I think. I think the other three will be pretty interesting. I like Employment Law a lot already. It has the same feeling as Property did for me -- relevant and important to real, everyday life. I started daydreaming about working at the EEOC in class today... I don't even know what EEOC stands for, but I think it has to do with discrimination (very interesting) in the workplace (again, interesting).

Evidence is supposedly an easy class -- yay for that -- and I liked Crim, so hopefully I'll be able to 1. stay awake during class, and 2. keep up with the reading for class. The 8:45 classes slay me, because I like reading in the morning or afternoon before class, and that's impossible when you have two classes stacked on top of each other, starting at 8:45 and 10:30 respectively. Which reminds me, I've got to go read now. And I will, but for one last thought: I'm okay. I'm busy, but I like my dorm room 1,000 times more than last year's dorm, I'm doing my activities with some amount of interest and vigor, and I'm finding classes interesting. It might be the Diet Coke talking, but I might be happy this year. You never know.