Wednesday, March 23, 2005

I went to sleep at 5 am. It's now 11:30 am and I'm wide awake. What is in this flu medicine?

AFter my eyes popped open at 10:30, I debated about going to crim for a while. For some reason I feel incredibly guilty about ditching today, despite the last dregs of my sanity reminding me that: 1. I haven't read, so if I get called on, I'd have to pretend I have no voice, 2. I'm still, incredibly, sick, 3. I have a great outline and people who will give me the notes from today, 4. I got 5.5 hours of sleep, and 5. WHO FRICKIN' CARES? I'm going to have to learn this stuff by myself for the final anyway.

So I'm staging a private protest against my guilt and staying home.

In 25 minutes I'm going to have to meet my moot court partner anyway, to do a final edit on our brief so's we can turn those 7 copies -- 3 with red covers! -- in by 4 pm. I think I'll ditch torts (4:30 pm) this afternoon too. There's an interesting-looking panel on Indian nations at 4 pm that I'd like to attend, seeing as I may be working on stuff relating to native Alaskan communities this summer.

My flu medicine is actually speed. That's the only explanation.

Speaking of drugs in general, the funniest moment two weeks ago: I was sitting in the weekly meeting of the legal services group I take part in, and we were talking about the case our team was handling. We were talking about crack cocaine when the supervising attorney, who has years of experience in low-income legal services, had this to say: "You know, crack will really mess you up. I've had clients who say that after they tried it once, that was it, they were hooked. And it really takes a toll on you." Pause. "Now heroin, though -- people who take heroin can function normally for years!"

I dunno. It made us laugh.