Friday, December 31, 2004

Okay, San Francisco, enough of the rain. Enough!

Most of today was cloudy with patches of sun, which I enjoyed when I strolled out this afternoon to find a mailbox and junk food. I've been making my way through bigbro and J1's pantry (let's face it, J1's pantry), and my body has been very receptive to the health foods and vitamins, but today it said enough is enough. We need processed sugars. White bread. Things that contain ingredients created in laboratories.

So I went to the aptly named "Donut Shop" next to the railroad tracks and got me a glazed donut and some coffee. Decaf, that is. Seeing as I've been having trouble sleeping again. As J1 said, the power of the melatonin is not strong enough to fight off the power of my stress.

I thought I'd be sitting at home alone tonight, and I'd have been happy to, honest, but I'm headed out shortly to another gift of bigbro and J1 -- their friends invited me over for the new year's eve. (By the by, it's odd how, when you commit to an idea -- say, that you'll be spending your "break" studying at first two or three hours a day and then ramping up to seven or eight -- you don't really care that others are out and about having holiday fun. Or perhaps that's a benefit of being alone in an apartment for days on end with only books, computer, TV, and Trader Joe's foodstuffs.)

I almost would rather spend tonight at home with the remote and perhaps, just perhaps, a drink in hand. Oh, the wicked indulgence! But it'll be good to speak to another human being after four days by myself. (But are you really alone when you've got Buffy and West Wing reruns on cable? Methinks not. Or methinks it don't matter so much.)

Anyhoo. It's been a year, all right. I started out 2004 in Hanoi, slurping down pho in a hole in the wall where a teenager had to order our cokes for me and the Ringleted One because we couldn't communicate that simple request. I flipped an imaginary penny that night that landed tails, which meant I wasn't going to law school. And here I am, a year later, studying for finals for the first semester of law school.

I should have listened to the penny, obviously.

A glorious Eve to you all, and if not that, at least a good night's sleep.