Monday, March 29, 2004

We got back from a jam-packed trip late last night, which I'll tell you about later.

Today we shopped. And shopped and shopped and shopped! BC's gonna be the rage in New York with her cell phone accessories. Especially the one that flashes when you get a call. Maiko got one also, and bought me one in the form of Totoro, a Japanese animation character that I'm fond of. I've come a long way from my original stance of cell phone dangly things being dumb.

We also went back to the celadon vendor in Namdaemun where BC bought two items a couple days ago, and had this exchange:

Vendor: It's 23,000 won.
Me: Expensive!
BC: Yeah, it is!
Vendor: Okay, I'll give it to you for 22,000 won.
Me and Maiko (chanting): 20,000! 20,000!
(BC punches in 18,000 on the calculator)
Me and Maiko (after oops! looks at each other): Uh, 18,000! 18,000!

He went down to 20,000. Subsequently, I asked: Hey, how about giving us a freebie dish like you did with the previous customers?
Vendor: They bought expensive things!
Maiko: But there are cute little things you could give us!
Vendor: No way. Not at the price I sold this to you for.
Maiko (on the way out): What about these cute little things here? How about some of these for free?
Vendor: All right! Fine! Take this! (gives BC a little bird figurine)
Me and Maiko: What about us? Can we have one too?
Vendor: No! Good-bye!

Can't believe BC's last full day is tomorrow! We're going to the Folk Village in Suwon, which you can see pics of at the ofoto.com page.