Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Miss BC is arriving in Korea on Saturday! Yay!!!! I can finally deliver on that bowl of kimchee stew I promised her way back in 2002, when she wrote to tell me that the word I'd blanked out on was "water cooler."

I have been tired, it seems, for weeks, and am choosing to blame it on spring. During springtime, they say, the budding flowers and trees and all things greeny steal energy from humans in order to do that growing stuff they do so well. Conversely, during the fall, humans gain a lot of strength from harvesting the things that stole our energy 6 months earlier. (Ha! Take that!)

I've always liked fall better than spring, and now I can actually couch it in terms that other humans will understand! ('Cause you know, the "death is real and life is ephemeral, therefore spring is a fraud and fall is the real deal" explanation don't fly too good with most people. I don't know why.)

And because I'm loop-loop-loopy with lack of sleep, I took great solace in walking to work today and singing Hank Williams Jr.'s "Lovesick Blues," replacing, of course, the feminine pronouns with masculine ones. Since the original lyrics themselves make me unreasonably giggly, let me share them with you. Take special note of the line I've boldfaced below.

I got a feelin' called the blu-ues, oh, Lawd
Since my baby said good- bye
And I don't know what I'll do-oo-oo
All I do is sit and sigh-igh, oh, Lawd
That last long day she said good- bye
Well Lawd I thought I would cry
She'll do me, she'll do you, she's got that kind of lovin'
Lawd, I love to hear her when she calls me
Sweet dad-ad-ad-dy, such a beautiful dream
I hate to think it all o-o-ver
I've lost my heart it seems
I've grown so used to you some- how
Well, I'm nobody's sugar- daddy now
And I'm lo-on-lonesome
I got the Lovesick Blu-ues.

Well, I'm in love, I'm in love, with a beautiful gal
That's what's the matter with me
Well, I'm in love, I'm in love, with a beautiful gal
But she don't care about me
Lawd, I tried and I tried, to keep her satisfied
But she just wouldn't stay
So now that she is lea-eav-in'
This is all I can say.


Now I ask you. What the hell does that line mean? This was the topic of at least one conversation I had during college with Mr. "We Had Rocks -- and We Liked 'Em!", who, upon my questioning him about this line, said with the deadpan solemnity we knew and loved: "It means exactly what you think it means."

Sigh. I miss Mr. Rocks. I miss everyone from college. I miss having people around who know better than me what the difference is between "interdisciplinary" and "multidisciplinary," which is the debate raging in the office right now.