Thursday, March 18, 2004

Tomorrow: the final final of my Korean language school career. It's so sad. I'm really going to miss going to school. (And don't tell me that I've got law school to look forward to in six months, because that's different.) I liked going to class with people from different countries, and hearing Chinese and Japanese and English and Spanish in the hallways. I liked hearing and telling stories about how it is in different countries. I liked sitting in empty sunlit classrooms in the afternoons, memorizing vocabulary.

I studied for a few hours with some classmates tonight, and then went to dinner, which consisted of meat, which naturally had to be accompanied with a bottle of soju. Just a shot or two each. But the first time I've ever imbibed the night before a test. We've all got senioritis.

Tomorrow I'm not going to work because my office is all going to some kind of workshop. So I'll probably hang out with classmates until the evening, when we have plans to go out drinking (again).

I don't want to give the impression that we're a tight-knit bunch or anything. In fact, this is probably the least tight-knit class of the five classes I've taken. Maybe because most of us have been in Korea for at least several months now, we have friends who are not at school, or work, or obligations that newbies don't have. Everyone seems to do their own thing. But we have gotten together a couple times in the past few weeks, and it's been really fun. I'll miss that too, as infrequent as it has been.