Friday, May 30, 2003

Yesterday in class we talked about sayings, and I collected a dandy few to share with you:

From China:
The toad wants to eat swan meat. (As in, "You ain't never catching that Bettie, Costanza.")
You're playing music to a cow. (Or, "Ah, why even bother?")

From Japan:
You're chanting sutras in the ear of a horse. (Another "Ah, why even bother?" saying.)
Even a pig can climb a tree if encouraged enough. (As in, "C'mon, you can do it!")

From India:
Even a donkey looks like an angel if you love it. (The oldie but goodie: "Beauty be in the eye of the beholder.")
-----------------
I signed up for the next session of language school, even though I'll miss the last four days or so and will have to take the finals early. It just sort of turned out that way. Either way would have been fine -- if I'd decided to take the next quarter off and rest, it would have been fine, too. But since I've signed up now, I think it was a good idea; I'd like to finish up schooling quickly, and do a little traveling next year.