Monday, May 26, 2003

I worked this weekend. And read Louisa May Alcott books: Little Men and An Old-Fashioned Girl. I really adore Little Women, so I thought I'd give her other books a shot. They're not as well-written or well-imagined as Little Women, but they really make you want to be good, you know? The world in the books is so happy and nice, and you're just carried along with it, despite the patriarchal set-up and overbearing religious overtones.

I'll be done with the darn textbooks by the end of the week, thank the lord. I have really enjoyed creating, but trying to do a parttime job, school, and a freelance job all at once has left me utterly exhausted.

On Saturday night I was going to bed at a decent hour, but turned on the boob tube for a minute and got sucked into watching Event Horizon, which so terrified me that I couldn't face going to bed (darkness, monsters, nightmares, etc.) and instead surfed the 'net until 5:30 am. Yes, there was daylight outside the window before I went to bed. First, to battle the scariness, I read reviews in which the movie was hammered (apparently it made it onto a couple "Worst Movies of the Year" lists), and then I moved on to reading Buffy the Vampire Slayer recaps on the Television without Pity site. It ended a nice long run on TV last week, so I wanted to read the recap of the final episode, but as it wasn't up yet, I read loooooong-ass recaps of the Buffy-Angel story arc from Season 2.

Yes, this kept me up until 5:30.

I'm a sucker for hopeless romances.

A hopeless romance I've sort of been following is this Korean drama that I can't figure out the name of. It's about this 10th century Korean princess who somehow gets time-warped into present-day, where two men who are apparently reincarnations of her 10th century love triangle fall in love with her again. All the principals are utterly gorgeous examples of humanity, so it's easy on the eyes, and they are all oddly compelling. There's In-chul, the fashion designer who was a warrior (I think) during the princess' previous life, and a sullen-looking business magnate who was a prince (I think), and a woman who's in love with In-chul and the sullen guy (which sucks for her since they're both in love with the princess), and the princess herself, who can do some excellent martial arts moves and speaks in the royal speech most delightfully (an archaic form).

Anyway, the princess, from what I've seen, goes from the sullen business magnate to the fashion designer, back to the magnate, then back to the designer, and back and forth and back and forth, spilling a bucket of tears each time. I'm not sure why it's so compelling, since ALL Korea dramas have similar storylines, but something about the desperation of not being able to decide! gets to me. Also, this drama is kinda spicy for Korean TV; as manifested in: 1. the magnate's shirt always being half unbuttoned (the better to show his chest, my dear!), regardless of whether he's in the office or at a bar; 2. the fashion designer wearing snazzy jeans and ruffled shirts and sporting a weird hairstyle I can only describe as coon got caught in the shredder, pa! (somehow, though, it all works); 3. the fashion designer kissing someone he is not engaged to; 4. the princess and fashion designer actually getting it on! (though we only get to see them kiss and then be in bed); and 5. ALL the men crying. Multiple times.

Anyway, last night was (I think?) the last episode of the drama (it was like a really, really long mini-series), and the princess goes back to the 10th century, leaving both men behind but cherishing the memory of the fashion designer and vice versa. Aw. I love hopeless romances.