Tuesday, May 20, 2003

It occurs to me today that I'm learning the art of faking it. This week, for instance, I am supposed to critique a Korean-English dictionary that the Foundation is thinking of sending out to its partners. What the hell kind of qualifications do I have to critique a reference book? You'd be right in saying zippo, pardner. But it don't matter either, not one whit.

Similarly, when people have asked me about American grad schools or admissions policies, I might do a little research on the internet about a specific school, but mostly I just make up an based on my own experiences or the whirling flotsam of otherwise unusable facts that you just soak up, somehow, about various subjects.

It reminds me of the time I taught a Kaplan class and realized that the people sitting behind the desks had no idea how terrified I was of them, nor how really very unqualified I was to teach them. Just stand in front of a lectern and (most) people automatically accord you a certain modicum of respect. They assume that you're qualified, that you know what you're doing, and that you actually have something worthwhile to say. Hah!

Here's to bluffing it.