Thursday, May 22, 2003

Hey, I think I have a stye in my eye!

Twinkle, twinkle, little stye
How I wonder why oh why
You've chosen now to come on by
And take up residence in my eye.

I'm a little stressed these days. Earlier this week, I spent three hours at a bookstore cruising the foreign children's section to purloin poems for the last book I'm writing for the educational institution. After all that (and finding some phat poems), I was told that they didn't want to bother with copyright, so could I please stick to authors who have died more than 50 years ago. This, AFTER I asked them this EXACT QUESTION last week and my editor told me not worry about it, just to find fun poems. Yeah, screw you, Namhee!

Add to that the oral test tomorrow, declining Korean speaking abilities, stupid boring-ass assignments at work, working three Saturdays in a row (and soon to be five Saturdays in a row), having to finish the textbook, inability to sleep well lately, teachers getting annoyed because I'm not doing the lovely dollop of extra homework they gave out, and last but not least, a mean case of breakup blues -- add all these together, and I'm ready to hide in my dark cave of a room for a few days.

And a stye in my eye!

More seriously, the news that a former colleague dropped dead on the basketball court last week was sobering. We could all go -- just like that! (Add finger snap.) Why why why Reggie? Why any of us? Why not?
--------------
Read today that the Yale law school was bombed, but no one was hurt. Maybe this is a sign not to go to law school? Because, you know, like, everything is about me? (Incidentally, I saw "Legally Blonde" last weekend, and I loved it, even though it sent me into an existential crisis of the "just what kind of people go to law school anyway and do I belong there?" sort.)

I'm very glad no one was hurt, so that I can be free to wonder why the hell anyone would bomb Yale law school. (By the way, world, we ARE sorry for graduating W. and releasing him upon the world.) I'd like to believe it wasn't political at all, but a carefully calculated no-injury statement by a disgruntled rejected applicant. Mwah hah hah haaaa!