Tuesday, May 27, 2003

Yesterday in class we did some amusing exercises concerning resumes and job interviews, and I am proud to announce that I was picked for the job of nude model. As an interviewer, however, I was less successful in finding a good person to work at my Ramen Company; one person did not know what kind of positions we had open and another, a Catholic nun from the Philippines, admitted that she had never eaten ramen. My partner and I decided on Father Njoroge, who as a child ate a lot of ramen and as a college student always had ramen at meetings of his extracurricular club. (Lies, obviously, since Father Njoroge, otherwise known as Peter, grew up in Kenya, where I'm pretty sure ramen ain't a staple. Heh heh. A priest lied. Heh.)

In Korea, Japan, and China, it's par for the course to attach a photo of yourself to your resume. All the better to see you, my dear, and toss you in the wastebasket if you happen to be ugly! In Korea, you are usually asked to talk about your parents, what kind of people they are, and what you learned from them. This news was met with some astonishment even from the Japanese and Chinese students. The teacher said she thought this interview practice was probably dying out.

In all three countries, though, you usually put your birthdate on your resume. In the Korean recruitment ad we listened to (a real one from 2000), the broadcasting station even specified the maximum age for the positions, none of which seemed to me to be particularly age-relevant (producer, announcer, reporter, technician). No one over age 30 could apply...

Odd, all that. Different. (Little and yellow too. But not necessarily better. Hi Nuprin ad!)

A shout-out to those who answered my call for emails -- thanks. I'll get back to you soon, after I catch up on the sleep I missed last night -- another stay-up-til-4-reading-Buffy-recaps night. God, I'm stupid.

Oh, and to Magnetic D: the name of the SBS drama is Love of a Thousand Years (õ³âÁö¾Ö, if you have hangeul on your computer, and Cheonyeonjiae, if you don't). I asked my coworker about it -- "You know, the drama with the princess coming by magic to the present day and two men falling in love with her?" -- and she knew what it was right away. To verify, she wrote back: "The girl is really pretty with big and beautiful eyes, and one man is evil with dark skin, the other man with peculiar hair, is it right?" I guess there aren't any raccoons in Korea, so she didn't know to say "the man with the coon got caught in the shredder, pa! hair?"

I'm just loving that phrase. I'm sorry.

Here's the URL, if you want to go look at the pretty principals: http://tv.sbs.co.kr/1000year. I'm actually gonna try to look it over. It's high time to get obsessed about something other than Buffy.

And finally, I'm friggin' done with the textbook project!!!! WHEEEE! Now the question is if I should take another job they're offering... 'cause I'm friggin' crazy like that and I never learn from the past!!! WHOOOEEE!!!

God, I need a vacation.