Thursday, December 07, 2006

Okay, it's done

After the newest iteration of the "are my aunt and uncle coming to graduation?" negotiation (latest: now they say they aren't, after saying they would two months ago), I put on my crankified authoritarian cap and did the deed: I called the New York office of the British firm and said, yes, I'm accepting your offer.

(And then spent three hours after that emailing and calling all the other firms with offers outstanding with variations on this message: "Really sad not to be accepting YOUR offer, 'cause I love you and all the people in your firm, and someday I might be looking for another job, so will you then love me back with the intensity of your current love and give me an offer then too? Cool, thanks, byeeee!" To which the Seattle firm said, "Of course, sweet cheeks. Call us!" And to which the Passive Aggressive But Prestigious NY Firm said, "Uh, lose our number and don't even think about entering our hallowed hallways again. See ya, LOSAH!" Further reason to metaphorically moon them.)

And so it is done. Except I left an out by saying I might look for a public interest job, so you have to hold my offer open til April 15 -- nyah nyah! But I probably won't actually do a public interest job, not when the firm will pay for relocation, bar review classes, test fees, bar membership, and all the rest.

I breathe a sigh of relief, and a sigh of resignation. And I keep doing those self-exploratory questions that the career shrink gave me.

And now, it is time to buckle down and study for finals.