Sunday, December 17, 2006

Not really the home stretch, or alternatively, My Stupid Fucking Reflection Essay

I don't think it can even be called the home stretch -- I still haven't had any exams (Tuesday and Wednesday, they are), and while I've turned in one paper for my clinical, I have yet to write much of my seminar paper (for which I did get the extension -- crying jags: good for something in the end).

But I've done the minimum for both of my exams by going through all my notes and readings, and tomorrow I'll do a couple practice exams for both, and then I take 'em and then I write the other half of my 20-pager, and then... then I collapse on my bed and stare at the ceiling.

And tonight, I write the 4- to 5-page "reflection paper" for my seminar, or as I call it, "my stupid fucking journal on what I learned in class." It's only a couple pages, and it's barely worth the aggro that I feel, but really. After 10 weeks of having to write journals documenting how we've practiced the skills in class, I am SICK of "reflecting." And this coming from one of the most self-absorbed people I know -- me!

I'll write about how I learned thst X is really effective and how I'll apply Y in my personal and professional life, but what I'd really like to write is something like this:
What I've learned in this class is that law students are the worst people in the world with whom to have discussions about emotions [the topic of the course] and relationships. What a bunch of blowhards and egotistical maniacs! (Although, it was kind of amusing, in a horrific sort of way, to hear one of the business school cross-registrants say, "I was really anxious about doing a group project until I realized that the people I was working with were just as good writers as I am! And as smart as I am!" To be fair, the same student was self-aware enough to ask later in the course, "What if you have an unpleasant personality? How does that affect your negotiations?")

I also learned that I never want to write about personal topics for school again. That it's never a good idea to actually try to apply lessons to real life -- because yes, it's psychically painful to think about these topics, but also because the type of rigorous thinking that is taught in law school is best left for non-emotion-related topics. Which is why a course like this is a bad idea.

Because of this class (and another touchy-feeling course I took this term), I learned that I shouldn't take any law school classes that aren't large lectures on straight legal topics. Go Capital Markets Regulation! Woo! I also learned that you do much more work for a 2-credit seminar than it's worth. Oh, and that I hate negotiating. But thanks for the snacks! Bye!