Sunday, December 10, 2006

Buh-bye, fall classes! (Good riddance.)

Yesterday (meaning Friday), I had my last class, went to my final hours of clinical, wrote up the last couple pages of my now finished-if-crappy clinical paper due on the 15th, and then had champagne and Mexican food with Joiner and Bubbles, another public interest girl who just got the prestigious Skadden fellowship for next year. (And when I say prestigious, I mean prestigious -- there are only 25 given each year for the whole country.)

And thus ends classes, and we zoom into prep for finals. I spent today outlining a paper due on the 18th and writing half of it, because even though it seems like there's plenty of time, I NEED at least four days each for bankruptcy and corporations, both of which worry me for different reasons -- bankruptcy because it's HARD (wah!) and because the prof has actually failed people in the past, and corporations because I skipped class for three weekds during the most important section of the course (securities law, which is so ironic, because I kind of think it's kind of interesting) and because I have read about 100 pages out of the 600 we were assigned for the semester. Yeah.

So I am caught in the eternal internal tug-of-war that takes place during reading period, which is that I want this term to be OVER and ENDED and the last final can't come soon enough, but I also need more timetimeTIME to studystudySTUDY, and quelling the panic just becomes something you build into your schedule.

This term was a bit ridiculous in how much I was running around. It really did not help that I had to go into town four days a week and that preparing for bankruptcy class took a minimum of 12 hours each weekend. Next semester I am taking it easy, I swear. And for winter term (three weeks in January) I am definitely taking it easy because I am just writing my third year paper. I'm not even going to be in Crimson City for half that time (shh!) becaue I'm gambling that my advisor won't be with it enough to realize that I said I'd turn something in every week. (Let's pray.)

Oh, where will I be? Ethiopia, with the Ringleted One. Hence the yellow fever, tetanus, typhoid, and malaria precautions. (Fortunately, I'm up to date on all forms of hepatitis.)

But I can't even think of that now. Everything must go perfectly on schedule and according to plan in the next week and a half, else I will be crying like a baby on the 18th (20-page paper and 5-page journal due), 19th (corps exam) and 20th (bankruptcy). And that plan says I go take a shower and get me to bed now.