Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Mental health day

I was pretty gloomy at 3:30 am on Sunday, but Sunday's training turned out to be just fine. It might have been the feeling of being a stalwart in the face of Mother Nature's decision to dump over a foot of snow here -- I perk up, somehow, in situations that contain a touch of emergency. All of our 24 trainees made it to training -- despite the swirling snow that fell all day and the icy streets -- which can't be said of the trainers. Thus, we were spread pretty thin and had to make do. I'm good at making do.

Yesterday, however, I was done. I got up at 8:30 intending to read and go to class and the gym and all that stuff, but I couldn't concentrate, and at 9:30, I made the executive decision to not deal with the world that day. I put my pajamas back on, closed my books and laptop, and went back to bed.

Of course, I couldn't fall asleep again, so I started reading Mansfield Park, but even that was too much, so I switched to internet surfing, and eventually ended up re-reading recaps of Felicity (yes, I know) with the laptop on its side in bed.

Joiner came by around 1 pm to check on me, since I had skipped con law, and looked at me somewhat askance, with my bed-tousled hair and shade-darkened room. "I'm taking the day off," I explained. "I'm just not dealing with the world today."

I did end up going to the gym, thanks to Joiner's insistence and no thanks to my Whiny McWhiny routine, and felt better for it. Could not read anything that night either, though.

Today it was tough to get up, but I did, finally, and now have read most of today's reading for one class. I'll deal with the assignments I missed later. No doubt I will be cursing myself several weeks hence for having not completed even one full assignment for con law, but at this point, I refuse to deal.