Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Sick and run down

No doubt about it -- am definitely ill. Sore throat, fatigue, malaise. Yesterday was my first day "off" (no traveling, no work, no test, no studying) in over a month. I've been feeling off-kilter since Thursday and now it has caught up with me, shaken me by the shoulders, and roared, "I will NOT be ignored!" So okay, King Cold, I took a nap, and now I'm resting in bed with my laptop, and so there you are, all right? Will you go away now?

I'm in a slight pickle with classes: I am on the waitlist for both constitutional law classes, which meet at the same time tomorrow. I've been on the waitlist for the popular professor since last spring, and I'm #29. Her class will be around 140 people. The less popular professor's class has also just closed, and there I'm probably waitlist #9 or so. Her class will be around 60 people.

So, like everything in law school, it comes down to strategy. There's a slight chance that the popular professor will only take people who come to her first class. So do I go there tomorrow? Or should I go to the smaller, less popular class where I have a better chance of getting in?

I'm fairly pleased with the rest of my schedule: a clinical in employment law (3 credits), an undergrad/grad history class on Puritans (2 credits), and capital punishment (3 credits). I'm excited to be working on some of the issues we covered in my employment law class in the fall, and I'm really excited about the history class -- it'll be a very small class, two hours a week, and we're going to look at local county court records from the 17th century and write a paper about it. It sounds like loads of fun and (hopefully) not too much work.

The third class is, ironically, the class I'm most unsure about. It's ironic because I know a couple people who really want to be in that class. I happened to rank it high in my preferences last year, without really knowing why, and I ended up in it. Frankly, I'm only mildly interested in the topic, but there isn't really any other class I'm more interested in. There are a couple classes I think I should probably take, but since they are with ultra-popular teachers, I'll have to pick and choose carefully in the lottery for classes next year.

It's kind of a sad state of affairs that I have scrolled through Crimson Law School's course descriptions several times this term and found nothing that I want to take. Sigh. I wonder what the hell I'm going to do with this degree.

I've gotten paperwork from both firms I'll be working for this summer. I opened up the Mighty Big Passive-Aggressive Firm's envelope and flipped through the list of students working there this summer. There's, like, 20 from Crimson. I suddenly felt an unreasonable sense of resistance about working there. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

I felt better about opening up the UK Magic Circle Firm's envelope, with its A4-size letterhead, postmarked from London. Perhaps I am allergic to going with the flow, or perhaps simply to Crimson students.