Tuesday, February 07, 2006

So should I go be a litigator now, or what?

I got my official Evidence grade today -- a blessed A-, which somewhat mitigates the two Bs that abut it on my transcript for the fall semester. Not the most successful term, but that A- saves it from being a disaster.

You know, I got an A- in crim law and civil procedure last year. Is this a sign that I should be going into litigation or something? That would amuse me. Of course, my employment law clinical is all about helping out on a couple lawsuits.

I was going over applications for mediation last night until 9:30 pm, and then doing interviews from 6:15 to 10:30 tonight. Same for tomorrow. My fellow recruiting director and I are too good for our own good -- spring semester is usually a slow term for applications, and we got MORE applicants this time than in the fall. We are damn good. Too good.

I'm not keeping up with con law reading, even though I got into the popular professor's class, but fortunately, she also summarizes the readings and cases and points pretty thoroughly, so it actually will make the readings make more sense when I do get around to doing them. I hope.

My capital punishment class looks to be interesting too. The prof is banning laptops in class. That in itself should be an experiment. I'm so used to checking email and surfing occasionally in class that I'm not sure I can concentrate for an hour and a half at a time. Theoretically I'm glad she's banning laptops, but practically, it's going to be hard to get back in to paper-and-pen mode.

While I'm not doing reading for class so much, I did finish Out this morning (when I SO should have been reading con law), a brilliant murder novel by Japanese author Natsuo Kirino. I was taking a break from research last month in the undergrad library when I happened upon a display of mystery novels recommended by staff. Out sounded good, so I recalled it and checked it out last week.

God, it's good. It tells the story of four women who work the night shift at a box lunch factory. When one of them kills her husband, the other three help her out. But it's far from jolly black comedy chick lit. It's chilling and seamy and makes you want to scrub the dirt of humanity off you in the way that James Ellroy novels do, digging around in the absolute filthiest of human emotions and underbelly of society. It's also a fucking brilliant critique of Japanese society and its treatment of women. You should read it.

Damn. Already 12:30 am! I need to sleep so I can get over this darn cold. I can't seem to shake this cough and fatigue.