Monday, January 02, 2006

The power of negative thinking!

I had dinner with the Neener tonight, and told her as we got up to leave that Not-Gay Boyfriend hadn't written to me, so I was a little sad about that. She said wisely, "Don't give up yet! Give him til the end of the week. Or, you write to him!"

But that would go against the rules of the game, I explained. "If he isn't smart enough to write to me by the end of the week, then he's not worth it."

"But he's worth one more email, surely," she said encouragingly.

"Well... all right. After all, he's age-appropriate! And that's the really important thing," I laughed.

"And he's nice! And liberal! And you had a nice conversation!" she reminded me.

"You're right, you're right." And I walked home in the light rain, exhorting Not-Gay Boyfriend under my breath to "write me that email, dammit! It's really not that hard! A monkey could do it!"

I was doctoring my face (almost 30, and still breaking out -- is there no justice in this world?) at home when Joiner popped by after an exhausting journey from home. After 10 minutes or so of catching up, she asked if I'd had word from Not-Gay Boyfriend. Nope, said I, and promptly walked over to my laptop to check. As the page loaded on my email program, I prepared to flip it the bird.

But then there it was. An email. From Not-Gay Boyfriend.

Eeeeeeee!

And yay!

And ... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

And now it's time to stop squealing and go to bed.

Right after I read it one more time.