Friday, December 02, 2005

After a few days of unseasonably warm weather (in the 50s and 60s!), the cold winds of winter have returned, with more of a promise to stay.

I was out in town today with Neener, who always knows the funky places to go. She took me tonight to an artists' ... er, building, I guess, out in the south part of town. It was hopping with art students in their fluorescent pink dreads and hip yuppies in their solemn wool coats.

I told her I was feeling a little lonesome these days, perhaps because things have slowed down a bit. It's been non-stop since the beginning of the school year with job interviews and visits, plus student activities and such, but this week has been pretty manageable in terms of getting school work done. Activities are almost done for the semester, not to reawaken until February or so, and there are no more firm visits to make. It's time to start studying for finals (the 15th, 20th and 21st of this month), and make that summer job decision.

Neener, after a very nice summer romance that lingered into fall, is single again, like hk, and we are both, I think, feeling our age. Not that we're feeling old, just feeling our age. Most of my friends from pre-law school life are coupled off in serious relationships or marriage, some into the home-buying stage, and all into a busy stage of their careers. As I told the Neener, the loneliness I feel has little to do with wanting to be married (inconceivable at this point to me) or wanting to be in a relationship (okay, a little). It has more to do with my friends being busy and me being not quite as busy right now. I've not felt that I wanted or needed friends at law school up until now, but a couple more friends probably wouldn't hurt.

I usually hang out with Joiner -- hardly a day goes by that I don't see her a couple times, sometimes for hours at a time -- and I occasionally see members of the Clique from last year. In fact, there was a mini-Clique reunion today for lunch, but I didn't attend, in part due to some weirdness between myself and two members of that group: the Destroyers. (If you recall, they used to date each other -- now they are broken up.)

I went over to Mr. Destroyer's house a couple weeks ago by invitation, and what with the wine, the candle, and the music, it was a suggestive sort of situation. Nothing happened, but it made me feel strange. Then I saw Ms. Destroyer a week later, and damned if it wasn't Mindfuck Central, because we bumped into someone who recognized me from the ONE other time I had been out with Mr. Destroyer and said -- in front of Ms. Destroyer: "Oh yes, now I remember, you were out for drinks with Mr. Destroyer when I met you."

All common sense says to stay the hell out of the Destructo-sphere, and against my drama-seeking, Director-of-Mindfuck tendencies -- which aren't very strong, to tell the truth -- I have. But feeling lonesome and having few acquaintances certainly makes the prospect of a little drama very tempting. Heh.