Thursday, December 01, 2005

Sent emails to 13 firms today asking for extensions on the decision deadline.

On my last night in Double M's house, I was stressing over the decision and not having made any headway, and Double M had these wise words for me: "You know you're not going to decide until the last minute, so why not assume that and just leave it til then? Just stop stressing about it until the last minute."

Working with my neuroses and tendencies, instead of against them! I love it.

I technically have until December 15th, but I have imposed a personal deadline of the 9th. That's the last day of class, and after that I MUST study for finals.

Today am leaning for Mighty Big UK Firm. It's smaller, they'll send me to Hong Kong for half the summer, and there's a very nice KA partner there who I think would look out for me. And while the people were a bit odd, there was a calm, unapologetic, professional air to the place.

Although a smaller place won't have the amenities that a larger firm will.

Agh.

On an entirely different topic, went to a mediation thing tonight, a meeting of the fall trainees, and had a great time. I really like recruiting for this group, mostly because it involves little responsibility and the group sells itself -- everyone is already interested in it and it's just about giving people information.

Oh, and back to legal recruiting -- every day there are phone calls from firm people: "Just wanted to check in with you hk, since I know decision time is coming up. If you have any questions or if I can help you through the process, please just let me know. I have a crack team of minions -- oops, I meant junior associates! -- who are ready to spend half an hour on the phone trying to be pleasant as you dither and dally about details that they know you can't possibly evaluate until you spend time in a firm as a lawyer. So call me, 'kay? Love ya."