Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Yet another day, yet another firm dinner.

Two, in fact, tonight.

The first was across the river (tasty scallion pancakes, and the everpresent jumbo shrimp appetizers) and done by a Mighty Soul-Sucking Firm. They have a reputation for being a screamer firm -- a culture that tolerates partners screaming at associates. Reputedly a bad place to work. It's also ranked the highest of all the firms I'm looking at.

The two people I talked to there weren't so bad. At least they were willing to cut the BS and address the issues. I liked that. This is a firm I liked interviewing at; the morning I interviewed there, the sun was shining for the first time in days. I thought that might be a sign. But I came back to school and the rumor mill kept harping on the poor quality of life there, so I was considering taking it off my list. It's back on now.

The second firm was in Crimson Square at a tres expensivo restaurant (like all the firm dinners). (A very nice blue cheese and some sort of shaved potato crisp salad at this second place. I ordered a porcini mushroom risotto. I should have ordered the salmon.) The group was small -- only about five or six 2Ls considering the summer, plus four or five 3Ls who have accepted and several firm people. It's a UK "Magic Circle" firm -- quite prestigious. Very international, and you do have a chance to go overseas right away. And the New York office is small, so everyone seems to know each other.

But international people are weird. That's not people who are firmly grounded in their own cultures -- it's wonderful to meet them and learn about their lives and outlooks on life. But people who criss-cross cultures and really move around -- they're a little odd. The three people or so I talked with were a little stiff, a little robotic. I didn't get to talk to one of the charming British partners -- maybe I would have had a better impression if I had. As it was, I left thinking that it was a great firm to work for if I really want to go international -- the New York office is smaller than most of the places I'm looking at, and has a very civilized air to it. But the people seem a little out of touch.