Sunday, April 24, 2005

Traditional Korean thought holds that spring is a time of fatigue. Plants and flowers, coming into bloom, take a disproportionate share of the finite amount of energy in the world, decreasing the amount of energy available for us humans. Fall, in balance, is a time of increased energy for humans. We harvest crops and take energy from the world in the form of food. Trees and plants, dying, give up what they took in the spring and we humans benefit from that.

I am tired.

Part of it is that in the past week or so, I've been gallivanting about to various social events -- a semi-formal, a boat cruise, a bar night, dinner with a classmate -- that require a good deal of effort for an introvert like me. But who knows? Maybe it's the season. Spring is a rather hateful time of year.

I just came back from a 5-hour-long board retreat/meeting for the mediation program, for which I am one of next year's recruiting directors. This is an activity I enjoy and believe strongly in, but lord, do I hate administration. I really am not a leader or a manager. I know it's vital, and I am grateful for people who like and are good at it, but I just want to do my thing and do a good job at it; I don't want to set policies or ponder the ramifications of decisions. I am so not a thinker.