Monday, February 23, 2004

Why hk is happy today

~ Because she got a free planner from Burger King when she bought her fries and realized that the empty hole in her life these days was really the space waiting for a monthly planner. Nihilistic and despondent feelings, begone! There's a new, cheap, Burger King-motifed planner in town.

~ Because her favorite online writer, Sarah Bunting, is back after a couple weeks of no new content. (Check out tomatonation.com, people. You won't regret it.)

~ Because most of her feverish, fatalistic, stomach pain-inspired guesses on the midterm turned out to be right, proving that 1. Kwan Yin, the Buddhist goddess of compassion, really does exist, and 2. that she really does want to hk to stay in her class and experience feeling like an idiot this term. Now, I know y'all's gonna think that it's just hk again, faking like it was hard when she actually was pretty sure all the answers were right, and I assure you that that isn't the case. I really guessed at a lot of answers. And that they turned out to mostly be the right ones is really a surprise. And I'm meeting with the teacher tomorrow to go over the test, because I won't learn anything from being lucky, will I?

~ Because I'm laying off the third-person references, and we should all be happy about that.

~ Because I'm back at the Foundation, and it's like slipping into an old sweatshirt. (Although new sweatshirts are really fuzzy and soft and actually much nicer than old sweatshirts, aren't they?) Yeah, for all my wanting to try teaching English, the KF came up with an extra 200,000 won per month, so in the end, I'm working a little over half the amount of time I used to, but being paid 4/5 of my old salary. Can't really beat that.

~ Because I'm wearing my new knee-high boots, and while I still can't decide if they make me look like a farmer's wife, they're very comfortable, and between having wearable black leather boots that might make me look like I'm going to muck out the stables versus unwearable trendy dominatrix-type black leather boots that I'll wear exactly two times after which I'll chuck them in anger into the "I hate you but you cost too much to throw away" corner of the shoe closet -- well, I'll go with the stable-mucking shoes, Alex. Anyway, I always liked horses. Not in that way, though.