Thursday, May 03, 2007

Sick but not depressed

I dosed myself last night with Benedryl and was floating amongst the drug-induced sleep clouds this morning when I got a call from my firm -- they're going to let me defer my start date! Yay!

Now, all I have to do is find money. Girl's gotta eat while she helps victims of discrimination. But since The Turtle has said more than once that he "will do whatever it takes to get [me] the funding," I feel pretty ... happy.

Yes, happy!

I went to see the career shrink today and he said, "Nothing you've said today surprises me. It's what you've been saying in various ways over the past several months -- you wanted the time and the flexibility and the autonomy and the space to figure things out, and you got it. The only thing that surprises me is how much of it is done already. You aren't really much of an agonizer as you think. You just keep getting caught between choices you don't really want."

I was wondering and worrying a little bit about the unconscious effect of Sweet, Smart Scientist on this decision. But I believe that while yes, the sunny warmth of spring and the affection I feel for SSS were part of the factors in the mix, the true reason why I chose to do this clinical fellowship was the satisfaction and interest and fulfillment I got out of doing the work. And that, bunny rabbits, is pretty darn happy.

Now, excuse me while I figure out how to delegate legislative authority to administrative agencies and NOT get beat up by the Constitution.