Sunday, March 04, 2007

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Dumb: Deciding to color my hair red last week -- at 10:30 the night before I had to get up at 7 to go mediate. The bathroom looked like a bloodbath by the time I was through, my arms were killing me from bending over the tub to wash out the dye, and my shirt looked like I had been playing in a slaughterhouse. Then I had to wait for my hair to dry, as the water would not run clear, even after rinsing for 20 minutes, conditioning, rinsing, shampooing, rinsing, conditioning, and rinsing again. Powerful stuff, that Clairol. But not THAT powerful, since after my hair dried, it looked pretty much the same color as it always has. D'oh!

Dumber: Not remembering that I did the exact same thing six or seven years ago with Junebug in her apartment in Providence, with the end result being Junebug squinting at my hair and saying encouragingly, "Well, it looks sort of red when you tilt your head that way, like, right in front of a very strong backlight."

Dumb: Again asking my aunt and uncle again to visit over spring break, getting the same response, and feeling pretty rejected and dejected about it.

Dumber: Telling my mother about it immediately after and crying on the phone, which of course elicited the usual sympathetic response, "You can't do anything about it, so stop crying!" engendering a rather reasonable reply back from me (I thought) of: "Well, I'm going to cry because I'm upset, so if you don't want to hear me cry on the phone, I'm going to hang up." Which I did. And because she was upset about me being upset, she immediately called my aunt and uncle and guilted them into calling me and offering to go visit. Which necessitated me calming them down about their guilt, and reassuring them that if they didn't want to make the long trip out here, it was okay. Ah, the delights of family.

Dumb: Waffling about yet another decision.

Dumber: Waffling about yet another decision because even though I know which choice is the better one for me, I can't let go of the possibilities the other choice offers. Oh Mammon! To think I'd ever be in your clutches!