Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Decision time again

You know, it was all settled. I was going to go to New York. I was going to work for a big firm. I was going to help big businesses and banks make more money. I was going to work 100 hours a week, and I was going to hate it. But I was going to make a buttload of money. I was going to go in with an exit plan. I was going to get out -- even before I began.

And then I get a phone call. From the Department of Labor. In DC. And the dude sheepishly apologized for the long wait, blaming it on the government and budget uncertainties, and then he asked if he could call my references because I was a finalist for the Honors Program, and they did indeed call my references, because the Turtle (my clinical supervisor and sort-of mentor) told me last week he sang my praises, and then -- yeah.

They offered me a job.

In the government. In DC. For 1/3 of the salary I'd get in New York. Doing work that would be much more interesting than financial services -- keeping in mind, mind you, that I find all legal work dull, but financial services? That's like watching grass grow while having someone read obscure German philosophy at you. In German.

So the factors are what you'd think, but I'll outline them here, as much for myself as for anyone reading this.

1. Location. I've already worked in DC -- worked for the feds, in fact -- and going back there ... well, in the past couple months I've gotten used to the idea of moving to New York. I've always had a little bit of regret about not moving to New York after college, and while I feel great affection for DC -- dude, I've been there and done that.

2. Lifestyle. The DC job wins out big time, obviously -- I'd actually have time to have a life, go to the gym, take classes, see friends. BUT. See #1 -- the DC lifestyle? Been there, done that.

3. Work. Yes, I find employment law the most interesting of all the types of law I've been exposed to. I have considerable clinical experience in employment discrimination law (ironically the one thing that DOL does NOT do -- that's the EEOC). It's hands down more interesting and bearable to me than financial services, which is what I'd be doing in New York. BUT. My plan for New York had been to make tons of money, pay off the loans, and get out of law. I can't do that in DC if I'm making 1/3 of the money I would be in New York. I still have to crunch the numbers, though -- it may be that the school's loan repayment program would make up a sizeable portion of what I'd lose.

4. Friends. This ties in with the lifestyle issue. In DC I might have time for friends, but the concentration of good friends in New York is much, much higher.

5. Money. Ah yes. One third of the salary. Is the work in DC going to be twice as much fun as the work in NY? Is the lifestyle twice as good? Is the prospect of paying off my loans over 10 years rather than 2-3 years really worth it for the lifestyle upgrade? Wouldn't I just be better off suffering for 2-3 years and getting it all over with? On the other hand, shouldn't I try the type of law I find the most interesting, with the idea that you gotta give it a fair try before giving up? Back to the first hand -- I ... I gotta admit, I want to make a lot of money. I want to see what it's like. Just once in my life!

Hm... doop dee doo ... These questions and more are brought to you by hk and the letters D.O.L. I'll be visiting them next week, and talking to some folks there, so the info-gathering stage is in full force.

And The Nephew says: "Auntie hk, I know how you feel. Sometimes I too feel -- how shall I say? Stymied. Immobilized. Brought up short by obstacles that may or may not be of my own making. Sometimes I feel there's something about me -- almost palpable in its presence and force -- that just prevents me from moving forward with the grace and freedom I yearn to master. Sigh. It's difficult. But I have faith that some day I shall be at liberty to act as I please, to control my destiny (and bowel movements) with confidence and certainty. You hang in there. It's bound (har har) to happen someday."