Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Tired

For real, people. It's gotten so that the days that I only have two classes and maybe a clinical are like my weekends, and my weekends are like school days. 'Cause this is how my schedule works out:

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday: Clinical from 9:30-1:30, class from 3-4:20
Thursday: Class from 10:20-12:20, class from 4:45-6:45
Friday: Class from 10:20-12:20, clinical from 2-5 pm

Now this probably doesn't sound like a lot. But every other Monday? Reading group from 5-7 pm. Every Wednesday morning? 2-3 page paper due. Every Saturday for 7 hours? Bankruptcy reading. Every Sunday afternoon? Bankruptcy study group (for which -- thank the sweet lord, because I would not understand that class without my study partners).

On top of that, my student org is in the middle of recruiting and is about to go into training the new members, so that I had an event three nights last week and two nights this week, and am about to embark on four hours per training day where I have to coach and train.

And let's not forget about on-campus interviewing. Thank heavens to Betsy that I only have five interviews this time around, because too many more of these 13-hour days and I think I may just curl up into a little ball and refuse to get up unless tempted by a bowl of pho, a carton of green tea ice cream, and a serial killer novel. Because today was like this:

9:30-1:00 Clinical
1:00-1:45 Rush home, stuff face with leftover pizza, get into monkey suit, get to interview
2:00-2:30 Interview with govt agency 1 (very nice folks -- liked 'em)
2:30-2:55 Get out of monkey suit, change into regular clothes, go to class
3:00-4:20 Bankruptcy
4:30-5:15 Go home, research and answer question from Training Directors about student org, change into monkey suit again, go to interview 2
5:20-5:40 Interview with govt agency 2 (sucked -- man had dead fishy eyes and totally tried to test my cool by challenging the premise of my writing sample. You suck, man with dead fishy eyes!)
5:45-6:25 Further answer Training Director questions about student org, head over to student org interview location
6:30-8:30 Interview student applicants, give feedback to recruiting director
8:45-10:00 Write journal for my touchy-feely negotiations seminar
10:00-10:10 Consider whether to go to the firm dinner, walk part way there, mentally and psychically give it the finger, and go back the way I came
10:15 Home


Ugh. Yes, in a sick way I love being so productive, but I am so very tired.

Also, I love being an interviewer. It's a sickness.

I keep reminding myself that in four weeks, it's Fly-Out Week, when all the 2Ls go for interviews in their various cities, and maybe I'll have an interview to fly to, but maybe I won't, and then I can just rest. Or catch up on corporations reading, which I've done exactly 10 pages of (out of say, 250 or so).

Interviewing this year, by the way, feels different -- as promised, the balance of power has shifted, so that I really am an applicant rather than the prom queen picking out a date. The first govt agency I interviewed with today said that they probably had one or two 3L slots. When I said that wasn't very many, they said they usually took students who summered with them (like the firms!), and didn't interview many 3Ls either. And the second govt agency, which I hear isn't taking anyone this year anyway, really kind of put me on the spot. Oh well. I can't really take many of these interviews any more anyway. During that second one, the dude was all, "...each section has its own personality and each one that I've worked in was blah blah blah. Blah blah blah BLAH blah blah. So blah blah blah. Blah. Blah?" Seriously. I saw the lips move, but I heard nothing. I so totally should have walked out of there.

Also, the worst I can do is accept one of the ridiculously overpaid job offers I have in my pocket. La la la! Phooey on you, dead fish-eyed man!

Speaking of which, I received the terms and conditions of work in both the Hong Kong and London offices, and wouldn't you know it, the Hong Kong office, which has a reputation for being stingy within the firm, did not list the actual amount of the cost of living allowance. Like, I know I'm going to get a COLA, dude! I need to know HOW MUCH, so I can compare it with how much I'd be getting in New York and London (where they did specify a number). I mean, really. In what other field do companies expect offerees to accept without laying out the numbers? It's so wrong, and it's so maddening.

And now, it is midnight and a half. And now, it is time for hk to drift away on Ambien dreams.