Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Last night of the 20s

It's the eve of my 30th birthday, and here's what I'm thinking:

- I'm too busy to deal with my birthday.
- So my friend Joiner is dealing with it for me, and I’m thinking, hk, you lucky dog, you. You must have done something right in a past life to deserve this.
- Speaking on panel today in con law was dreadful, but having drinks with the con law professor this afternoon was actually kind of fun and much less weird and awkward than I and the other two kids thought it would be.
- I don’t know where I thought I’d be at age 30, but I didn’t think I’d be in a dorm room at Crimson College Law School, surrounded by law books. I’m looking around my 12x8 dorm room and wondering, is this the parallel life that the real hk gave a brief thought to and discarded? Did the thought take life of its own and get down and crazy and spin off into its own series? What’s the real hk doing? I hope she’s happy and fulfilled, wherever she is. Maybe she stuck close to home, on the west coast. Maybe she’s living abroad. Maybe she went to grad school and is trying to find a job. Maybe she’s married and has a kid. Bwah ha hah! Aw, man. Whew! [wipe a tear from the eye] No, she doesn’t have kids. It’s still me, after all. But she’s not in law school, I can tell you that.
- Sometimes I feel very young, and other times I feel old. Lately, I’ve been feeling old. Old enough to take on responsibility, but young enough to resent it.
- It’s not such a bad life, you know? Yeah, I know.
- Should leaving the 20s be a bigger deal than it feels? Hm.