Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Went to an offeree dinner yesterday at the most expensive restaurant in town. To the left of me sat a girl who, when I asked the leading question, "So if you know that you're just a cog in the machine for the first two years because you're just learning the basics, then do you derive satisfaction from knowing that you're helping a rich company make more money?" answered: "That's exactly right! You see what I'm saying."

I was ready to shoot myself after the salad.

Went to another event* tonight at a fancy restaurant in town. Learned my lesson and left after an hour and a half, just after dessert.

The NYC recruiting partner was being very friendly and recruit-y, so we chatted about his hobbies, and then he asked me mine. Now, I swear, i wasn't TRYING to make him uncomfortable, but this is what came out: "Well, I'm trying to get into reading books for pleasure again. In fact, I just read this really fascinating book written by a Crimson College Law School grad about a black Crimson College Law School grad who sued his firm for employment discrimination, and it was so interesting because in a place where lots of people are unhappy about the way they're treated -- perhaps because of the vagaries of particular partners or whatever, how can you really tell if race is the factor?"

He stared at me for a moment, wheels turning, and then: "Uh huh. Yeah, we have a diversity coordinator, and uh, hey, did you hear about our diversity weekend?"

Poor guy. He was really nice. But I was feeling waspish at some level, I suppose. Maybe a little devilish.

In any case, I hightailed it out after 90 minutes, and that was a good thing. Too much schmoozing makes hk a dull, deadly irritated girl.

* It was advertised as "cocktails with HEAVY appetizers." The "heavy appetizers" turned out to be a sit-down meal of an appetizer, a dinner entree and dessert. Why not just say "dinner," dude?