Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Just a couple riffs...

I forgot to mention that there was a funny amount of choreography at the Mighty Big Firm dinner I went to on Monday -- after the entree, one or two people from each table moved around. The guy who moved into the seat next to me was a "closer," who said things like, "I know exACTly what you mean. I was in the SAME position." It's was somewhat effective, and very funny.

Coming back from SF, I dimly became aware that fall had fallen upon Crimson City. The trees are brown or yellow or red or orange. Leaves cover the ground. The air is sharp and cold.

I did not pay for lunch today, having signed up for one of a series of alumni speakers. This fellow had graduated in 1948 from Crimson College Law School, and had done solo practice, small firm practice, judgeships and finally helped set up a judicial system for a Native American tribe in his state. He was short and white-haired and funny and had a soft, blurry, Carolina accent. He exhorted us not to get tied up in the quest for money, pointing out that we were in the law school, not the business school. He said, "You are here getting a law degree so you can serve justice. For the people." It was a good thing to hear, and a good time to hear it, what with conversations to the left and right of me about which private law firm we are all going to next summer and next year.