Thursday, October 14, 2004

Video Killed My Work Ethic

What is wrong with me? I've been playing a stupid video game for 3 and a half hours, and have not gotten a lick of reading done. I must stop. Grr.

So yesterday marked the day I officially got called on in all my classes. In my Property class, the prof usually sets out the facts of the case and then has us debate each side, half of the class acting as the defendant's lawyer, half as the plaintiff's lawyer. Yesterday we were talking about easement by estoppel (kind of like squatter's rights), and I was on the side arguing that buyers of land should be able to claim an easement. The prof of course asked me to present the policy argument, which was the exact argument I had had the most trouble thinking of. Luckily, smart people sit next to me, and I had asked them about policy reasons supporting our side just two minutes earlier.

Not much to say about my debut in Property, except that I used the word "tautological" in my answer. As in, "Well, it seems sort of tautological -- trust is good, faith is good, so therefore trust and good faith are good for society." Christ. I really don't know where the word came from. Seriously. I had to look it up after class to make sure I used it correctly. I don't think I did. But I don't think most people knew what it meant either. Mwah ha ha!