Tuesday, September 21, 2004

I had an odd conversation over the weekend where someone explicitly invited me to join their social group. Isn't that odd? It's pretty much the strangest conversation I've had since the beginning of this semester. On second thought, that wouldn't be too high of standard, since we are talking about law school here.

I enjoyed the biggest laugh in several weeks tonight when my old high school friend said about her recent blind date: "Well, he was kind of wheat-colored [an old in-joke] and, well -- go and be more masculine!" We were sitting in a pho restaurant, commiserating over the day, which was low for both of us, and we walked around Cambridge for an hour or so afterwards. I'm so grateful she's living here. Otherwise I would have probably spent the evening lying in bed utterly depressed.

As my friend suggested, it's a good bet that getting readjusted to this country is making the law school thing much harder. One big thing is that I'm on my own again, which is such a shock after living nearly two years with relatives. Somewhere along the way I really got to like living with family, and I feel alone here. Thank goodness (and this is the only time you'll hear me say it, so take note) for the dorms. If I were living alone in an apartment I think I might be really psycho by now.

I have, by the way, started checking under the bed again. For axe murderers. And monsters. Things that go bump in the night.

What was I saying about being psycho?