Wednesday, April 21, 2004

I love taekwondo
(so put another dime in the jukebox baby)

Why do I love thee, taekwondo? Because when I'm kicking, punching, and doing those moves, I can't think of anything else. And that's good news to an overthinker like me.

Tonight, due to unusually warm spring weather, condensation gradually beaded the studio floor until it was as slick as an ice rink, and I was reminded of the first time I ever attended class last year in July, when I slipped on the wet floor and fell with aplomb right onto my behind. Really a work of art, that fall.

Because I don't really have anything to write about tonight, I'll go with the Tiger Beat approach: There's a rather attractive British man in taekwondo class that, before tonight, I hadn't really talked to. (Really. I don't think I ever even exchanged one word with him.) But last week, when I was meeting my former teacher at language school for our weekly language exchange session, I saw a slightly familiar-looking fellow standing in the hallway on the 7th floor. I hadn't seen him for months, since I hadn't been to taekwondo since December, but I recognized him after a minute (people look really different out of their taekwondo uniforms).

I don't know what propelled me toward him, since we had never spoken in class. Perhaps it was the surprise of my worlds colliding that sent me in his direction, tilting my head in the internationally recognized gesture of Uhhh, are you who I think you are...? and blurting out, "Don't I know you from my taekwondo class?" Or, maybe it was just because he's cute.

We talked for just a minute or two before I had to meet my teacher, and I didn't see him again until tonight. Turns out that he's with the British embassy, has been in Korea for four years, and is taking a break from work to take a Korean class before heading back to England in July.

It also turns out that he's married (yeah, wouldn't you know it?) to a Korean woman (yep, situation normal all right) who used to be his language instructor (mm hm, one of those). Nevertheless, we had a very pleasant 20-minute conversation after class about Korean Americans and life in Korea, and -- I just figured this out -- it was very pleasant because it was of the analytical and knowledge-seeking style in which I am used to conversing with friends like BC. Ignoramus though I am (and proud of it!), there are times when I kinda miss those kinds of conversations.