Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Passing Thoughts

Sometimes, when I'm walking along the street, I'm startled to recognize in passersby the features of Korean American friends or family back home. Miss D's nose. My sister-in-law's lips. My cousin's gait.

I like to think that I've just seen Miss D's fourth or fifth or seventh cousin thrice removed, or that my sister-in-law, way back when in this extraordinarily ethnically homogenous country, shares the same ancestor as the woman who just walked by.

Sometimes, when I'm sitting in a cafe daydreaming, I'm startled to see a Caucasian person pass by or enter the room. I always feel like I'm a spy when this happens, pretending to be Korean but secretly all-American inside. Sometimes I have this urge to go up to them and ask them the time, just to ... I don't know. Establish that I'm one of them?

"Hey, it's nice to see someone else like me," I want to say, but then I realize that this is a singularly bizarre thing to say to a stranger, and that I would probably run away from someone who approached me this way. Non-Asian foreigners in Korea are like movie stars -- they can recognize each other as part of a group apart, experiencing the same difficulties and enjoying the same privileges. If I say anything, I'm instantly recognizable as an American. I become part of that group, and then I become distinct from all the other Korean people in the room. But most of the time, I say nothing, and they never know.

Sometimes, when I see young people studying English on the subway or see awkward English phrases on signs or t-shirts or backpacks, I think of how powerful America is, economically, politically, culturally. I think of all the Americans who don't have passports, don't know where Korea is, and don't care. But I also think that the countries in which American culture is so prevalent have an advantage over us: they know us, but we don't know them. And knowledge is power too.

"They know us" = Koreans know more about Americans. Sometimes, though, I think, "I know you, but you don't know me," in terms of being a minority in the States, and also having been on the fringes of an Indian American crowd in high school and a Jewish American crowd immediately post-college.

Just some thoughts I often have in passing.