Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Job search update

Perhaps I've gotten a response from the Kaplan people -- I wouldn't know, since I can't log into my yahoo account for some reason; I keep getting the message that the page isn't available. Since I can usually log in just fine at school, I suspect it's a local server problem. Grr.

In the meanwhile, I scraped up the courage to call one of the biggest language institutions in town, where my classmate Yoko happens to teach Japanese. Got a very nice guy on the phone who said he finished assignments for February this weekend , but that his counterpart in the Gangnam area needed a parttimer, so call him. So I did, and now I've got an interview for tomorrow for an English language instructor. The winter suit I got made in Hoi An (thanks, Wendy!) is going to see some action! Whoo hoo!

I stuck around school this afternoon, as I did yesterday, to watch the video I'd missed last week when I was lolling around at home, sick, instead of attending class. Called Dong Gam (translated by whomever in the film industry does that kind of thing as "Ditto"), it was about a female college student in 1979 who, via a HAM radio, contacts a male student at her college -- who is living in 2000. Dum dum DUM!!! (Or rather, dumb dumb DUMB. Not the premise itself, which was done fairly well in the States with Jim Caviezel and Dennis Quaid in Frequency in 2000, but the heavy-handed -- musta weighed a ton, that hand -- melodrama and annoying characters.)

The 1979 girl is in love with this guy, see, and then the 2000 guy says "Hey, my parents were in your class! Wonder if you know 'em?", and the guy's parents turn out to be the girl's best friend and the guy she's crushing on, and I'm usually pretty bad at guessing endings to movies, but this one was so predictable that I guessed everything about 15 minutes in, astonishing Yoko and causing her to say, "You're no fun to watch with."