Tuesday, May 13, 2003

One of the more interesting experiences of living in Korea is the extent to which I, and all foreigners, become representatives of our native countries. Why do Americans do X, Y, or Z? someone will ask, and I'm lost for an answer, because either I've never thought of why Americans do X, Y or Z, or the answer is stuck in the back annals of times, or there simply isn't an answer.

I do this too. Why do Koreans bump into each other on the subway and never apologize? The receiver of the question may as well ask me why Americans feel the need to apologize; it's custom, it's always been done, that's the way we do things. Blabbity blah blah.

For many social customs, it's no big deal to say, you know, I don't know! and laugh about the absurdities of humanity. Those cwazy, wacky bipeds, with their many and varied ways of interacting!

When it comes to questions of politics, though, it's not so easy to laugh.

Except for the one unpleasant run-in in the fall, I've not been badly treated because I'm an American. The fact that I look Korean of course decreases my chances of being treated differently, but even the obviously foreign people I know are subjected mostly to curious scrutiny.

Even among people who know I'm American, the issues of American politics are not often raised. I did have an interesting conversation with a coworker a few weeks ago about the war, which she opposed, and she was careful to say that she wasn't attacking me, just talking about current events. Even so, it's a difficult position to be in.

In the conversation I had a few weeks ago, I told my coworker that many people in America felt the same way she did. I reminded her that millions of Americans walked in protest of the war. That half of America didn't vote for Bush. I told her that very few people I knew were wholeheartedly in favor of the war. I told her that even I, as a voting American (though in non-represented DC, of course), felt helpless and frustrated about the actions of my government.

In the end, though, does it matter? Does my presence here, my interactions with Koreans around me, make a difference in the way Koreans view Americans? Does it persuade the young Korean activist that Americans should not go home? Does it show older Koreans that Americans do have some manners after all? Does it make up for American soldiers who don't understand Korean customs and could care less? Does it make up for the fact that Koreans feel continually snubbed and overlooked by the U.S. government? Does it make up for the fact that Bush effectively rendered the Sunshine Policy of Kim Dae Jung obsolete when he included North Korea in the axis of evil?

I read about the bombing in Riyadh today with much, much sadness. And a feeling of frustration. And a feeling of anger. Anger at my government, for castrating the UN and alienating the entire world when we need the entire world's support the most. Anger at the terrorists, who don't care who gets killed as long as they can make a point. Anger at the half of America that voted Bush in, the half that supports his tax cuts for the rich and believes there was compelling evidence of WMD in Iraq (yet to be found). And just beyond that anger is a deep frustration that I can do nothing, nothing about it.

What can I do, friends? What can any of us widgets do to end ignorance and bigotry and hatred, not only of the terrorists, but of our own fellow citizens? If you've got an answer, pray tell.