Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Wait, Are You Really SARS?

'Pears that the SARS patient might just have pneumonia. Hope so.

I have heard from more than one person that Koreans are naturally resistant to disease because of all the garlic they consume. Does that mean that Italians are naturally impervious too?

I met a Russian girl today whose grandparents were forced laborers (read: slaves) for the Japanese. I've noticed her before because she takes the same subway I do after school, and during the winter, she'd literally be wearing short sleeves and jacket. Unzipped!

"I'm from Russia," she explained today, when I told her I'd marveled at her winter outfits.

She's married to an American soldier she met in Korea (when he was stationed here). He's now in Fort Lewis, though, where my own dear uncle works. He's hoping to get transferred back to Korea, but if not, she'll go to Seattle -- after she's okayed for a visa. It seems that she's already been waiting 7 months for it, and has another 5 to go.

It's a little strange to speak English with someone who looks Asian but speaks with a Russian accent. Hm. Not strange. Cool.