Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Summer camp is over!

New York has had a spell of unusually warm, muggy weather, reaching into the mid-eighties over the past few days.

Today, it broke. I walked to work comfortably attired in a skirt and sleeveless top; by the time I left the office (6:30), it was cool enough to feel that my wool cardigan wasn't enough protection from the breeze. And tonight, it poured rain.

Thus endeth the summer. Thus endeth too the summer camp that was training and orientation.
Yes, finally the endless computer training and introductions to various practice groups and support services ended, and I am GLAD. Enough with the sitting and listening. I want to do something, even if it is reading leases. (Really?) (Um... yeah. I think so.) (Thus giving more credence to the old saying about the grass on the other side.)

After training came to its (rather unceremonious) end, I went to my office and did some administrative chores, during which I finally met the partner of the group, who seems nice enough. I also met the last group member, whom I didn't meet yesterday, and observed a pretty nice dynamic among four of the associates in the department. The group is very female-heavy -- there are six women and two men, plus a male paralegal. No one appears to be overly pushy or aggressive, except possibly one of the senior associates. I'm crossing my fingers that my first impression of the department -- a favorable one -- remains so.

Am still unpacking, unpacking, unpacking. Came home and put away my summer clothes, making my big suitcase disappear from the living area, plus another cardboard box that contained my rice cooker and humidifier. I am getting heartily sick of finding places to put things, putting things away, cleaning things, and breaking down boxes. Too many things! Everyone who's seen the amount of stuff I have says I don't have much, but to me it seems like entirely too much stuff.

God, I'm exhausted. I've got to get to bed at a decent hour -- got up at 7:30 this morning to get to the Social Security Administration by 8:30 to get a replacement SS card, which I need to get my NY driver's license. That's not very early, but it's early enough for me! Fortunately, NY lawyers' hours run more typically from 9:30/10 in the morning.

I wonder what my first assignment will consist of tomorrow? I'm a little nervous. But mostly I'm tired.
(721)