Wednesday, May 30, 2007

13 seconds

Mathgirl and I were walking to Barbri class this morning, grousing about commencement, the $75 rental fee for gowns that apparently stain your clothes if it rains or if you sweat, and various other grumpy topics, when we realized that it all comes down to about 13 seconds.

The ceremony's about 2 hours long. There are 550 graduates this year. We'll each get 13.09 seconds to bask in our diploma'd glory before the next person gets called.

Of course, as bigbro pointed out, there's bound to be speechifying and such, so it's probably closer to 5 or 6 seconds.

-----------
Dance of the parasites

I know, I know, it's a singularly hostile and ugly name for fetuses, but let's face it -- it's not like it's a symbiotic relationship. Even so, I apologize. It's not because I won't love the babies of my friends and family -- I will! I do! And I'll lie very convincingly if I don't!

But really -- today a high school friend had his first child AND I discovered that Fearless T is in that maternal way. Def and Stave are due in August, and of course, The Nephew was born in January. Suddenly, it's babies, babies, all round, and it's just a leetle, teeny bit creepy.

And because it's always about me, in the end (yes, me and Meredith Grey, together, forever, as one), I just have to say -- congratulations, my lovelies. I am not envious at all, since it's well known that I don't get along with humans under the age of, oh, 25 or so, but there is a teeny, leetle part of me that sighs, because here is another thing that so many of my loved ones are experiencing, that I am nowhere near.

And now, I'm going to be wise, and go to bed at 10:38, and be rested when I wake up, inevitably, at 5:30.