Thursday, January 18, 2007

Recovery... and anticipation

I slept a blessed 10 hours last night -- much needed and welcomed by this tired sack of blood and bones -- and awoke feeling almost human again. And then read in bed for almost 6 hours, which was also welcomed if not needed.

Still have not worked a whit on my 3L paper. Speaking of which -- have I mentioned what the paper's about? I don't think so, so here it is: I'm writing a proposal and two episodes of a television series about law students. It's not for the purpose of selling it to Hollywood or anything -- as little as I know about television writing, I at least know that it's impossible to get anything noticed by anyone if you're a complete newbie -- but it's been damn fun talking about it and thinking about the characters and writing snippets of dialogue here and there. Damn fun.

But of course, now that I have full, long days to actually write, I don't actually write anything. This is why I couldn't ever take time off to write -- no discipline! At this point, I'm hoping to get a weak draft of the character descriptions to my advisor on Monday.

Speaking of producin' and creatin', let me distract you from that really bad transition by saying that my nephew, who persists in resisting entry into this bad, mad, wonderful world, will probably not be happy tonight, for tonight is when the chemical coaxing begins. It's not so bad, nevvie! Sure, there's terrible things that happen out here in life outside the womb, but there's also puppies and rainbows and bowls of cherries to comfort us. And there's love, my little chickpea, which is a formidable force and will be drizzled on you with care, like fine olive oil on crusty bread topped with luscious tomatoes, fragrant basil and sharp garlic pieces. Mm. Bruschetta. Huh. Did I just compare my as-yet unborn nephew to an Italian appetizer?

AnyHOO. The point being, my thoughts are with J1 and bigbro tonight, as they start the final stage to that condition of life called parenthood. Bon courage!